The Hand of Scalpuman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Hand of Scalpuman

Forum of the Lord of Trading fellowship

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Daily Market Analysis from ForexMart
Confession of a CDO insider @The Eye of Sauros Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2016 9:51 am by Andrea ForexMart

» Company News by ForexMart
Confession of a CDO insider @The Eye of Sauros Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2016 9:46 am by Andrea ForexMart

» forex & binary - licensing & consulting
Confession of a CDO insider @The Eye of Sauros Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 1:32 pm by AGPLaw

» Stop leading an 8/5 robotic life and live real life!
Confession of a CDO insider @The Eye of Sauros Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2015 9:59 am by Ian Shaw

» Forex and binary options affiliate program reviews
Confession of a CDO insider @The Eye of Sauros Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 7:09 pm by affiliates-network

» InstaForex Company News
Confession of a CDO insider @The Eye of Sauros Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2014 8:29 am by IFX Yvonne

»  Forex expositions by ShowFxWorld.
Confession of a CDO insider @The Eye of Sauros Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 10:44 am by ShowFxWorld

» Forex News from InstaForex
Confession of a CDO insider @The Eye of Sauros Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 9:48 am by IFX Yvonne

» Shaolin Black Swan and Crunching Hobbit
Confession of a CDO insider @The Eye of Sauros Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 7:44 pm by Sauros

Confession of a CDO insider @The Eye of Sauros

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Sauros

Sauros

Confession of a CDO insider @The Eye of Sauros Empty
PostSubject: Confession of a CDO insider @The Eye of Sauros   Confession of a CDO insider @The Eye of Sauros Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 3:47 pm

The infamous CDO hit again the news headlines... I had been running the Orc race with Investment Banks in the CDO business on the arranger’s side for a while and I know that sooner or later they will come back along with other structured products and financial weapon of mass destruction and bring the Armageddon. Regarding the CDO of subprime RMBS (Residential Mortgage-backed Securities), the dust from 2007 and the subprime crisis has not settled yet and we still don’t have a precise view on their value (if any…) and the final outcome yet. It will depend on the house price, interest rates, unemployment rate, behaviour of the borrowers but as well to a large extent on the governmental policies whose impact is very difficult to assess. OK, OK, I said nothing new there. Regarding the hotter topic of short sellers of the underlying collateral of the CDO and involved in their asset selection at the same time, I guess in the near future a few other cases will be revealed as I’m afraid this kind of practice was not rare. For instance, Magnetar was known for buying the first-loss piece of the CDO for which they selected the assets, banking outrageous fees, hedged the single names in the portfolio and go massively short of other pieces of the same CDO (mezzanine tranches). The process ultimately gave them an incentive to pick the worst assets in the CDO…

Read the Full Post
Back to top Go down
http://blog.thelordoftrading.com
Sauros

Sauros

PostSubject: Re: Confession of a CDO insider @The Eye of Sauros   Confession of a CDO insider @The Eye of Sauros Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 9:50 pm

Sauros wrote:
my personal experience shows that after a move with such the amplitude as the one we saw on March 16th after Goldman, either the bull trend reasserts straight and we’ll see shortly a consequent rally cancelling Friday’s drop or the markets hesitate, stand still and ultimately resume their fall with strength. I also want to see how the DAX reacts around its 20-SMA moving average.

+100 points up on the DAX today, that's precisely the kind of reaction I referred to in the post.
BTW it looks like the 20-SMA held
Back to top Go down
Batman

Batman

PostSubject: Re: Confession of a CDO insider @The Eye of Sauros   Confession of a CDO insider @The Eye of Sauros Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 7:37 pm

Sauros, great post. I just recently learned about the mezzanine tranches of CDO's in my finance class. Seems like Paulson & Co took candy from a baby. I would not be surprised if we start to hear many more reports of this nature in the future. Even though, I am a young Fund Manager I am starting to understand the pitfalls that go along with regulation and finance. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel that IB's and Financial Institutions will always find a way (through creation of new, exotic, and unregulated products) to pick pennies up in front of the steam roller.
Back to top Go down
http://thenatgastrader.blogspot.com
Sauros

Sauros

PostSubject: Re: Confession of a CDO insider @The Eye of Sauros   Confession of a CDO insider @The Eye of Sauros Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 9:56 pm

Batman wrote:
Sauros, great post. I just recently learned about the mezzanine tranches of CDO's in my finance class. Seems like Paulson & Co took candy from a baby. I would not be surprised if we start to hear many more reports of this nature in the future. Even though, I am a young Fund Manager I am starting to understand the pitfalls that go along with regulation and finance. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel that IB's and Financial Institutions will always find a way (through creation of new, exotic, and unregulated products) to pick pennies up in front of the steam roller.

Thanks Batman. I think CDO should be taught in a "History of Finance" class Smile
Afterwards, it looks like the SEC, after it missed Madoff, wants to shoot an elephant and they try to do Goldman...
All is about greed: a few years ago the CDO business was the cow to milk and that precisely what the bankers (including myself I'm afraid) used to do, Goldman's case is just an instance of this.

After the crisis, most of the banks have been focusing on "flow" business (vanilla products), but the problem is the margins tighten as the market becomes more and more competitive and the appetite for yield is coming progressively back. What is likely to happen is that more and more structured products will be proposed again in order to feed this appetite and increase the margins and only the Lord of Trading knows what the guys will be able to invent...

Now trust my long experience as a structurer, the more the product is structured, the higher the margin (meaning the cost for the investor) and most of the value-added of the structured product goes not to the investor, but to the structurer...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Confession of a CDO insider @The Eye of Sauros   Confession of a CDO insider @The Eye of Sauros Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Confession of a CDO insider @The Eye of Sauros
Page 1 of 1