The Hand of Scalpuman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Hand of Scalpuman

Forum of the Lord of Trading fellowship

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Daily Market Analysis from ForexMart
Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2016 9:51 am by Andrea ForexMart

» Company News by ForexMart
Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2016 9:46 am by Andrea ForexMart

» forex & binary - licensing & consulting
Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 1:32 pm by AGPLaw

» Stop leading an 8/5 robotic life and live real life!
Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2015 9:59 am by Ian Shaw

» Forex and binary options affiliate program reviews
Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 7:09 pm by affiliates-network

» InstaForex Company News
Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2014 8:29 am by IFX Yvonne

»  Forex expositions by ShowFxWorld.
Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 10:44 am by ShowFxWorld

» Forex News from InstaForex
Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 9:48 am by IFX Yvonne

» Shaolin Black Swan and Crunching Hobbit
Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 7:44 pm by Sauros

Are your core positions long or short?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Snapman

Snapman

Are your core positions long or short? Empty
PostSubject: Are your core positions long or short?   Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 5:38 pm

just wanted to get some peoples takes on the market, whether you are trading Equities or currencies or commodities.

I'm
trying to figure out how much longer can equities sustain this rally,
and if indeed equities do tank, to what extent will the dollar
strengthen (or will it even strengthen at all).

I would be interesting in hearing how some of you guys are generally positioned (aside from cash only Are your core positions long or short? Icon_tongue )

---

Currently
I believe that equities still need a huge correction for it to have a
more sustainable rally. The speed at which 1070 was reached on the SPX
was quite fast.

It also seems that the EUR/USD perhaps already
bottomed with the past few days dollar weakness. Is this a temporary
whipsaw or will the dollar continue to weaken?

anyway I would appreciate some general feed back

Cheers,

-Snapman
Back to top Go down
http://groupANLZ.blogspot.com
Sauros

Sauros

PostSubject: Re: Are your core positions long or short?   Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 9:40 pm

Hey Snapman, a first quick answer, I drop thoughts as they come, I'll detail later.

As you know, while at the beginning of the year I was bearish equity and long USD as a safe haven, I changed my view this summer.

This year I started building a long stock position though some asset managers using an old good dollar cost average strategy, betting that I would get some at the bottom : that appeared to be a good idea if only at the beginning of the year, being bearish, I didn't short the stock indices. That offset most of the gains I got of my equity position.
Now as you mentioned, a correction on the equities is still possible and likely (after a 7-month rally !!!) but i would say that :
1 - I think lots of guys, including what we call "real money accounts" ie "long-only" traditional players missed the rally and are waiting for a pull back to come it. That makes a severe correction unlikely
2 - The FED and others central banks still veil and now we know they will do ANYTHING to avoid a severe correction.

Now about your argument on the speed at which the SPX grew, as we discussed earlier, it is bullish to me as it signals a strength it is hard to reverse : I referred to "physical" parameters of the price. The jumps in the RSI, the white marubozu etc are generally to me strong bullish arguments (unless they are unvalidated straight but the opposite move which can lead to an evening star)

About the USD, to me its weakness is still very supported by the US Gov (don't listen to their BS at the recent G7 about "we want a strong USD") and as you know : trade the FED.

If you think that the equities will correct and the USD will go down, my advise is, you guess it : go long gold.
(Arghhhh, as I write this, i just had a look at a Gold chart : 1044 and I took part of the profits Are your core positions long or short? Icon_sad )
Back to top Go down
http://blog.thelordoftrading.com
Snapman

Snapman

PostSubject: Re: Are your core positions long or short?   Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 12:47 pm

most of my core positions are long equity and fixed income roughly half and half of my majority positions. My smaller positions consists of trading around single long equity strategies. Unfortunately I have to worry about taxes so most of my core positions I won't be able to modify until the end of this year. Though I should be able to get a sizable position out soon to give me more flexibility to expand my portfolio into more alternative securities.

I'm currently:

short-term and Mid-term bull | and long-term bear equities

for the USD:

Short term I see temporary dollar strength 1 month or so (except maybe not the euro)

though Mid-term (4 weeks+) and long-term (next quarter and further out) bear on the dollar.

for Gold:

As long as 1000 support holds ill be long, and as the economy recovers slowly (inflation fears)
Back to top Go down
Snapman

Snapman

PostSubject: Re: Are your core positions long or short?   Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 1:17 pm

Sauros wrote:
Hey Snapman, a first quick answer, I drop thoughts as they come, I'll detail later.

As you know, while at the beginning of the year I was bearish equity and long USD as a safe haven, I changed my view this summer.

This year I started building a long stock position though some asset managers using an old good dollar cost average strategy, betting that I would get some at the bottom : that appeared to be a good idea if only at the beginning of the year, being bearish, I didn't short the stock indices. That offset most of the gains I got of my equity position.
Now as you mentioned, a correction on the equities is still possible and likely (after a 7-month rally !!!) but i would say that :
1 - I think lots of guys, including what we call "real money accounts" ie "long-only" traditional players missed the rally and are waiting for a pull back to come it. That makes a severe correction unlikely
2 - The FED and others central banks still veil and now we know they will do ANYTHING to avoid a severe correction.

Now about your argument on the speed at which the SPX grew, as we discussed earlier, it is bullish to me as it signals a strength it is hard to reverse : I referred to "physical" parameters of the price. The jumps in the RSI, the white marubozu etc are generally to me strong bullish arguments (unless they are unvalidated straight but the opposite move which can lead to an evening star)

About the USD, to me its weakness is still very supported by the US Gov (don't listen to their BS at the recent G7 about "we want a strong USD") and as you know : trade the FED.

If you think that the equities will correct and the USD will go down, my advise is, you guess it : go long gold.
(Arghhhh, as I write this, i just had a look at a Gold chart : 1044 and I took part of the profits Are your core positions long or short? Icon_sad )

---------

Here some Evidence of long only funds being bullish on equities

Mutual
fund houses are buying equity again, if the latest data is any indication.
However, there is a fear that fund houses may be going back to a regime of
high-cash levels. CNBC-TV18
s Anichya Shah and Suresh
Venkat report.

Mutual funds
don't seem scared
anymore. Data for September shows that some of the top fund houses, which had
been sitting on pots of cash earlier in
the year, have loosened their purse-strings to buy equity and cash levels
have dropped significantly for most of them.

Birla
Sun Life Mutual Fund's cash levels have
fallen from the high of nearly 20% in February, to just under 4%. Reliance
Mutual Fund's cash levels
are down to around 12 percent, from February levels
of 32 percent. UTI Mutual Fund's cash levels
have dipped from 25.8% in February to 4.46%. ICICI Prudential has also seen a
significant cut from 22.8% in May to 9.48% in September.
HDFC,
which had always been heavily invested in the markets, continues to maintain
this status and still boasts a low cash-level of around 4.13%. Analysts say
that this fall is because fund houses are making up for the opportunity lost to
them when they did not participate in the earlier rallies.

Mutual funds' cautious moves

Considering
the strong buying seen in September, October may see funds reverting to the
cautious position adopted earlier. That's because in the first five days
of October alone, Mutual
Funds have sold equity worth Rs 2,388 crore. This aggressive
profit-booking may be an effort to build a cash-cushion for the strong
redemption pressure some of them may be expecting.

Back to top Go down
Snapman

Snapman

PostSubject: Re: Are your core positions long or short?   Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 1:08 am

I may consider to start moving a considerable amount of my portfolio into cash as they have nearly fully recovered from the 2008 crash, as it is the end of the year (take advantage of tax strategy of selling my loosers).

Anyone else fully invested right now?
Back to top Go down
Sauros

Sauros

PostSubject: Re: Are your core positions long or short?   Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 10:13 am

Snapman wrote:
I may consider to start moving a considerable amount of my portfolio into cash as they have nearly fully recovered from the 2008 crash, as it is the end of the year (take advantage of tax strategy of selling my loosers).

Anyone else fully invested right now?

I would say be careful about the breakeven. It happens frequently (including to me) but when a position went against us, we tend to cut it when it comes back to breakeven. We tend to forget that the goal of the game is to make money and not to retrace our losses.
This said, selling the loosers could be a good idea generally.
Back to top Go down
Snapman

Snapman

PostSubject: Re: Are your core positions long or short?   Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 1:45 pm

These are slow performing asset classes, I rather have an asset class more liquid, and im doing this mainly for tax purposes. If I waited until next year to see if my trades go higher it won't go higher and most of my capital would be locked up; limiting my overall strategy. But your point is taken, you should definitely be in it for making money. With this being said this is exactly what im trying to do. Switch over from a passive strategy to a more active oriented startegy with the best tax benefits.
Back to top Go down
Batman

Batman

PostSubject: Re: Are your core positions long or short?   Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 12:15 pm

I am absolutely loving the bears. I am looking to get short equities via dxd, skf, and qid.
Back to top Go down
http://thenatgastrader.blogspot.com
Snapman

Snapman

PostSubject: Re: Are your core positions long or short?   Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 12:36 pm

Batman wrote:
I am absolutely loving the bears. I am looking to get short equities via dxd, skf, and qid.

IMHO that is a big risk considering how far the equities tanked the past two weeks, and considering bullish picture is still in tact. At most you will get a small profit IMO, but hey thats better than a loss. Best of luck, who knows maybe we will see 1030 support hold on the SPX... if so you definitely got room to the downside.
Back to top Go down
Snapman

Snapman

PostSubject: Re: Are your core positions long or short?   Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 12:40 pm

Im currently hedged via a long position on the dollar which has worked out quite well, but my hedge ratio was a little Messed up so its not a very clean hedge, but it certainly has limited my losses since I have been short term bull equities. and i still remain so, i am waiting for more bear confirmation or bull picture to weaken.

-snapman
Back to top Go down
Batman

Batman

PostSubject: Re: Are your core positions long or short?   Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 2:41 pm

I can't understand why you are still bullish. The volume tells the true story. Up days lack any kind of significant buying support (Light volume every time). The sell-offs arre heavily traded. I'll send you some tables. Equities are over-valued point blank. Fundamentals tell the true story. Not to mention Vix out of the money calls for december 35's are picking up in volume. When the vix is over 30 that is a historically bad sign for equity markets. This rally is artificial. Anyone who jumps in now will daly be scathed.
Back to top Go down
Snapman

Snapman

PostSubject: Re: Are your core positions long or short?   Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 3:27 pm

Quote :

IMHO
that is a big risk considering how far the equities tanked the past two
weeks, and considering bullish picture is still in tact. At most you
will get a small profit IMO, but hey thats better than a loss. Best of
luck, who knows maybe we will see 1030 support hold on the SPX... if so
you definitely got room to the downside.

Read above: "considering bullish picture is still in tact" .... look at a chart, there is nothing abnormal about volume. If support holds at 1040, that is just super confirmation for continued bull trend....(higher low). all in the charts
Back to top Go down
Snapman

Snapman

PostSubject: Re: Are your core positions long or short?   Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 3:30 pm

Batman wrote:
I can't understand why you are still bullish. The volume tells the true story. Up days lack any kind of significant buying support (Light volume every time). The sell-offs arre heavily traded. I'll send you some tables. Equities are over-valued point blank. Fundamentals tell the true story. Not to mention Vix out of the money calls for december 35's are picking up in volume. When the vix is over 30 that is a historically bad sign for equity markets. This rally is artificial. Anyone who jumps in now will daly be scathed.

I haven't been jumping in ive been riding the trend since the 1020's on the spx
Back to top Go down
Snapman

Snapman

PostSubject: Re: Are your core positions long or short?   Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 3:31 pm

if you are bearish you should wait for the pull back to the upside and short below resistance....
Back to top Go down
Batman

Batman

PostSubject: Re: Are your core positions long or short?   Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 3:31 pm

Sorry i disagree. Besides there is no basis to this rally. Maybe your argument works for the next week but not for the next month or 3.
Back to top Go down
Batman

Batman

PostSubject: Re: Are your core positions long or short?   Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 3:32 pm

if you are bearish you should wait for the pull back to the upside and short below resistance....

Thats exactly what im doing...
Back to top Go down
Snapman

Snapman

PostSubject: Re: Are your core positions long or short?   Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 3:34 pm

that doesn't matter basis or not look at the equity performance since march...... obviously if you been following any of my arguemtns they all said this I am short term bull and long term bear... and you never even specified time frames.
Back to top Go down
Snapman

Snapman

PostSubject: Re: Are your core positions long or short?   Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 3:41 pm

Well either way, when a bullish picture is still
in tact, trying to call tops is financial suicide. If you tried to call
a tops from the beginning of summer on every higher high, you woulda
been outta capital by now. Im just riding the trend thats all...
Back to top Go down
Batman

Batman

PostSubject: Re: Are your core positions long or short?   Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 4:19 pm

Last edited by Batman on Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Batman

Batman

PostSubject: Re: Are your core positions long or short?   Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 4:27 pm

Courtesy of Bill Gross...you can read the entire article here http://www.pimco.com/LeftNav/Featured+Market+Commentary/IO/2009/Midnight+Candles+Gross+November.htm. But read the excerpt:

Asset appreciation in US and other G-7
economies has been artificially elevated for years. In order to prevent
prices sinking even lower than recent downtrends averaging 30% for
stocks, homes, commercial real estate, and certain high yield bonds,
central banks must keep policy rates historically low for an extended
period of time. If policy rates are artificially low then bond
investors should recognize that artificial buyers of notes and bonds
(quantitative easing programs and Chinese currency fixing) have
compressed almost all interest rates.
But while this may support
asset prices - including Treasury paper across the front end and belly
of the curve, at the same time it provides little reward in terms of
future income. Investors, of course, notice this inevitable conclusion
by referencing Treasury Bills at .15%, two-year Notes at less than 1%,
and 10-year maturities at a paltry 3.40%. Absent deflationary momentum,
this is all a Treasury investor can expect. What you see in the bond market is often what you get.Broadening the concept to the U.S. bond market as a whole (mortgages + investment grade corporates), the total bond market yields
only 3.5%. To get more than that, high yield, distressed mortgages, and
stocks beckon the investor increasingly beguiled by hopes of a V-shaped
recovery and ‘old normal’ market standards. Not likely, and the risks
outweigh the rewards at this point.Investors must recognize that
if assets appreciate with nominal GDP, a 4-5% return is about all they
can expect even with abnormally low policy rates. Rage, rage, against
this conclusion if you wish, but the six-month rally in risk assets -
while still continuously supported by Fed and Treasury policymakers -
is likely at its pinnacle. Out, out, brief candle.”
Back to top Go down
Sauros

Sauros

PostSubject: Re: Are your core positions long or short?   Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 12:24 am

I just gave more detail on my trading strategy and core position in my new post :
http://blog.thelordoftrading.com/2009/10/ive-not-traded-since-ive-been-bullish.html

I'm happy to discuss with you guys, particularly guys from Analyze Capital LLC as this post summarizes discussions we had earlier and tries to clarify some points I guess remain not so clear to you.
Back to top Go down
Batman

Batman

PostSubject: Re: Are your core positions long or short?   Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 6:18 pm

Currently short XLF and long SKF. I see a collapse in financial share prices very soon...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are your core positions long or short?   Are your core positions long or short? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are your core positions long or short?
Page 1 of 1